Below is a rough working syllabus. Things may be changed to accommodate new scholastic trajectories and pathways. The challenge for me is that the purpose of this Directed Research is to engage these texts for the first time. As such, it is hard for me to predict sequential compatibility, and ideal film/fiction pairings.
This syllabus also does not include any theoretical texts, as they will added later/in conjunction with readings and themes presented in the works. I will revise the syllabus as I work through it to reflect these changes.
If you have any ideas for theoretical texts that I should apply, please comment!
- 1/26 — Mona Lisa Overdrive// Lawnmower Man, Tron
- 2/2 — Nueromancer // Hackers, Blade Runner
- 2/9 — Count Zero // eXistenZ
- 2/23 — Snow Crash
- 3/2 — Burning Chrome // Johnny Mnemonic
- 3/9 — Diamond Age
- 3/16 — Lain Series
- 3/30 — R.U.R //The Aleph
- 4/6 — Akira
- 4/13 — Fredric Jameson Utopia
- 4/20 — Ghost in the Shell // Including Adaptations
- 4/27 — The Matrix (Including Sequels) // The Animatrix